Thistle Dew Nutrition

Ramblings from a "Simpler" and perpertual student of natural health, with a strong focus on how to eat well to prevent chronic diseases.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saugatuck, Michigan, United States

***

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Cheaper than Therapy

There is a book that I want to read. It’s called “Cheaper than Therapy: Joy, Healing, and Life Lessons in Fiber” by Annie Modesitt. I want to read it, but I have class books to read first. I now have a stack of books that I want to read as soon as my schooling is done, but that’s a year away and the books they are a-stacking. This particular book teaches us that knitting, crocheting, and other yarn/fabric/needlework is good for our heads. It’s good for our hearts too.

I find myself pacing the house looking for something to do in the evening. I can’t read anymore, my eyes are tired, my soul is tired, but I’m too antsy to sit and watch TV. So I try to watch TV, but at almost every advertisement I get up to wash the dishes or fold laundry or clean a spot on the floor or write a shopping list…

In years past I have learned may hobbies to help me unwind: crocheting, card games, crossword puzzles, needlepoint and cross stitch, stained glass windows, Tae Quan Do, motorcycle riding, painting, among other things. They keep me sane, especially in the winter time. I learned how to knit last summer and now I can sit through a whole hour of CSI while knitting a scarf and matching hat for my favorite waitress, or while knitting a teddy bear for my co-worker who is due in a month. I am then calm by the end of the night, and I have a feeling of accomplishment.

I have always believed that hobbies are an important part of everyone’s life. I never trust somebody who tells me they don’t have any hobbies. Watching TV is not a hobby. Raising children (or raising husbands) is not a hobby. Drinking is not a hobby. A hobby is something that puts you into a different part of your head than you are usually in at work. If you’re a contractor you shouldn’t have woodworking as a hobby. If you’re a mother of teenagers then Soccer shouldn’t be your hobby.

And the best hobbies, in my not so humble opinion, are those that allow you to create something; have something to show when you’re done. Playing cards, gaming, and crossword puzzles don’t give you anything to hang on the wall or give as Christmas gifts when you’re done. Hopefully they do get you interacting with other people, which is good, but all you have to show for yourself at the end of the day is that you’re a winner (or a loser).

And not all hobbies are expensive. It can take less than $10 to start knitting:
Skein of Red Heart Yarn: $1.99
Pair of nice bamboo #8 needles: $4.50
Having the old lady in the yarn department of your local Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or small town yarn store show you how to cast on: Priceless.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fungyrl1 said...

I agree. It is nice to have made something, but then I find myself wondering why I feel I have to be productive all the time.

Frankly, my dear, it sounds like you need a vacation. Like an actual vacation. Not a trip to Florida to deliver stuff to your family vacation. Find a spa and go.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Fungyrl1 said...

New topic: Carbohydrate cravings/addiction? Seriously, what to do? I can't stop. Ahhhhh!

2:42 PM  
Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

I recommend the book. I've read it a couple of times. ;)

1:22 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I do love knitting and crochet.
Its so relaxing, theraputic, and a great creative outlet as well.
But for me its primarily a way to remember my great-grandmother. She taught me how to crochet when I was about 8 years old and I always remember her when I start a new project.

Thank you on the information about Ireland as well, I am 90% certain that is where I will be going and I am looking into the options for flying into Shannon, renting a car, flying out of Dublin a week later and just exploring as much as I can inbetween the two cities.

5:16 AM  
Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Drew and I incidentally both have essays in that book. It's actually a really great compilation.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it. So sorry it took me so long to get over here!

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home