Thistle Dew Nutrition

Ramblings from a "Simpler" and perpertual student of natural health, with a strong focus on how to eat well to prevent chronic diseases.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saugatuck, Michigan, United States

***

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Coffee, or lack thereof.

I’ve been getting a lot of comments on my fingernails for about a month now, because they are absurdly long, strong, and beautiful. I haven't even been painting them because they are a nice un-stained color. I’ve always had nice fingernails, but they are growing so fast, and not breaking. At first I thought they were just having an end-of-the-summer growth spurt, and told people that they would dry out and start breaking again once we turned the heat on in the house. Well, the heat’s been on for 3 weeks, and my nails still look great!

I even took some old nail polish off my toenails, and noticed a difference. I’ve had 3 toenails with that white fungus “stuff” under them for about 5 years now. I’ve tried anti-bacterial liquids, and years of Tea Tree Oil, always wearing socks, wearing no socks, and many other things that have been suggetsed to me over the years, with no effect. My mother has the same thing, so I didn’t think there was much to do about it, and it didn’t hurt anything but my vanity.

Well now I think the fungus may be growing out of my toenails! That will take months to make sure, but I’m hopeful.

What does this have to do with today’s title about Coffee? I was talking about my fingernails to a co-worker who was receiving a back-scratch from me at the time, and I realized that my fingernails (and toenails) started growing so well very close to the time that I finally quit drinking coffee. Yes, giving up coffee wasn’t as hard as giving up soda pop since I substituted Adagio loose leaf tea for the coffee, but I did it! (By the way, loose leaf tea is SO much better than tea bags, and I STRONGLY suggest at least looking at
www.adagio.com. If you want a $5 gift certificate, post a comment to that effect below and I will arrange it. Also check out their “Ingenuitea” brewing cups.)

If this lack of coffee does work on my toenails I’m going to suggest it to a friend of mine who’s MD has been wanting to surgically remove all of his toenails due to the fungus “stuff”. Wish us luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

I met someone at Christmas last year that had had her toenails removed. Within two years they had grown back and not in the good way. She litrally has to use a hoof trimmer to cut them now. Eeek

3:40 PM  
Blogger Fungyrl1 said...

You know, I'm sure it is good to give up coffee, but after a while all the self denial just sucks. I don't smoke anymore - which was about my favorite thing ever - and I limit the amount of soda I drink, and now coffee too!!?? I've been on a diet since I was 15. Flouride's bad for me. What's left???!!! Grrr.

Back to the topic: Is it the caffeine or the coffee itself? Tea has caffeine, right?

Don't get me started on the toe nail thing. Yuck.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home