Thistle Dew Nutrition

Ramblings from a "Simpler" and perpertual student of natural health, with a strong focus on how to eat well to prevent chronic diseases.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saugatuck, Michigan, United States

***

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Texas Travels

I just spent this past Monday in Houston, and Tuesday in Dallas. Yes, I was there on business; who would go to Texas the end of July if it’s not for business?

Although I am a small town girl, and never got much out of big cities, I have to say that I like Houston. Good food, clean streets, a well engineered highway system, good art, very nice people, and everyone I met had a smile for me. Also, and this may be strange to say, but every bathroom I went into was clean, nicely decorated, and most of them had a sitting area with furniture. This is simply not found in the North.

IAH airport could use some lessons in forethought and planning. It’s simply too big and not well thought out for each addition. Did you ever see a house that had three or four additions, and each section had a different roof line, different shingles and siding colors, and all the windows were different sizes and shapes? That’s kinda how I felt in the Houston Airport. The best example is that “Terminal C” has at least 4 wings on it. Shouldn’t they then be called Terminals Ca, Cb, Cc, and Cd at that point?

I wasn’t nearly as impressed with Dallas/Fort Worth. The cities were still rather clean, and the highway system was still fairly easy to maneuver around, even though there are as many exits to the left of the freeway as to the right, so you are forced to drive slowly in the middle lane just to be prepared. But Dallas/Fort Worth seems to be stuck in the 80’s. It’s like they were great twenty years ago, and they just don’t want to let go of those good times.

Each building was very well designed and built (about 20 years ago), very well furnished, with styles and high class brands from the 80’s like LeBarge and Laura Ashley, and people (especially women) still wear clothing and hair styles from the 80’s. I can honestly tell you that I have not worn a hair “scrungie” in public since 1992, or a banana clip, and I saw both of these hair decorations in abundance in Irving (between the two “big” cities). It's time for D/FW to move forward in the style department.

That’s my rant for today.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Fungyrl1 said...

Banana Clips!!! Oh my. You know I used to wear them in my 80's permed and highlighted hair. Pretty....

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home